Pattern Test: Deer Creek Tunic and Dress
I finally got to test another pattern for Terra of New Horizons! (She changed her name from Terra’s Treasures since I last tested for her.) As I anticipated, this pattern is really well put together.
There are notches for matching up pieces correctly. The pieces all fit together perfectly. The techniques are good-and taught me something new. I don’t love sewing curved hems, but I learned a trick that helped it come out pretty well!
But my favorite thing is the style of this tunic-easy and comfortable but has some shape. I bought this fabric intending to make a dolman for me out if it and then saw the test for this. I decided to use it for the pattern test and make one for myself in the size 16 (cause I’m really close to the measurements and thought this would be forgiving.) Unfortunately, matching up the stripes didn’t allow for me to cut out a top for me too. Boo. But I did use the rest to make myself a scarf. I should share that…
Nut#2 probably won’t be wearing this until summer because of how lightweight the fabric is. Hopefully she will still fit because I think it is adorable! I can’t wait to make my own! There is a coordinating women’s pattern, but if I can fit into the 16 why buy another pattern? 🙂
- Pattern:Deer Creek Tunic and Dress
- Designer: New Horizons
- Style: Dolman style top
- Fabric: light to medium weight knit-I used lightweight jersey
- Size Range: 6 mo.-16
- Size made: 6
- Top Lengths: 3-Tunic (curved hem), dress (curved hem), dress (straight hem)
- Sleeve lengths:3-short, long, and 3/4
- Sleeves cut on Fold: technically no, because the pattern piece is flat, but yes the front and back are the same shape-it’s a dolman…
- Alterations/hacks: no
- Clear Instructions: Instructions were not complete during testing so I can’t fully comment.
- Seam Allowance: 3/8″
- Layers: yes
- Trimless: yes
- Sew Again: Yes!
- Recommend: Yes