Once I realized the Leralyn Dress has a seam down the middle, I knew I wanted to make a striped dress on the bias so the stripes meet in a ‘V’ in the front. I found some rayon challis from the Raspberry Creek Club line (sorry, this one is discontinued and sold out on their website) and thought it would be perfect. The stripes look like they are on linen even though they are actually rayon challis.
The dress came out pretty close to what I had imagined. But it was a struggle…
First off, the rayon challis was kicking my tail on this dress. I had more yardage than I could fit on my cutting table, so I decided to cut it out on my floor. But because I cut my front pieces on the bias they shifted and warped and ended up longer and skinnier than my pattern piece.
I ended up cutting the pieces out again on my cutting board and marking the darts and fold lines way more diligently than I ever do. Still, sewing the welt pockets took much longer than it should have because my fabric kept shifting.
I also made a couple fit adjustments. I made a quick muslin of the top front portion to try out my small bust adjustment. That muslin also told me that the darts were low on me and and the armscyes hung lower than I like. I opted to take an additional 3/4 inch seam allowance at the shoulders. This brought the dart and armscye up higher. That may have been a bit too much for the darts…Hmm, seems I’m always looking for ways to improve the fit of my clothes.
Once I assembled my dress together, I decided I wanted some more overall length and length in the sleeves. But my fabric was pretty much all used up. So I added a band to the bottom of the dress and sleeves.
Now that I’ve got all that done, I’ve got a lightweight shift dress perfect for our hot summer days! The Leralynn Dress would be perfect as a beach coverup in a fabric less prone to wrinkles. I may still occasionally wear it as a coverup anyways.
Blank Slate Patterns is generously offering to give a copy of the Leralynn Dress to one of my readers. To enter, use the Rafflecopter below. The giveaway ends Tuesday at midnight so don’t procrastinate! This is my first time using Rafflecopter and I’ve got my fingers crossed that I’ve done it right. In either case, I’ll edit this post with the winner on Wednesday so we can get this lovely pattern out to someone to sew! Make sure to check back and see who wins!
*edit* Congratulations Julie H.! Look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with details about how the pattern is getting to you! Thanks to everyone who entered the giveaway!